Meals that Heal: Chicken Alfredo
Open Door Social Club enjoys a meal together on the second Tuesday of every month. We call this program Meals that Heal because sharing a warm meal together heals the spirit. Especially on days like today when it is March and snowing! Didn't anyone tell the weather that it is spring time?
This month the meal was Chicken Alfredo!
1lb Chicken breast
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons of butter
1 medium shallot (green onion), minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced (I love garlic so this was the perfect amount for me but 2 cloves of garlic would still give it good flavor without a strong taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pint heavy cream
1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1lb fettuccine noodles (follow package directions to cook)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spread the olive oil, salt, and pepper all over the chicken breasts and place them in an oven safe dish. (We used a glass casserole dish but a cookie tray would work too)
3. Once the oven is at 400 degrees, set a timer for 30 minutes or check the time so you can remember to check them.
4. While the chicken is baking, cook the noodles according to the noodle package's instructions.
5. In a large skillet melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Toss in the shallot, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly so the garlic does not burn.
6.Pour in the heavy cream and then turn up the heat to medium-high and bring everything to a simmer. (a simmer is when there are tiny bubbles all over but not huge bubbles all over)
7. Turn the heat down to low and add in the Parmesan cheese.
8. Melt the cheese stirring frequently so the cheese and cream does not settle to the bottom of the pan and burn.
9. Once the chicken is cooked (this should take between 30 and 40 minutes), Carefully remove it from the oven and chop the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. (if you are uncertain if the chicken is done or not you can carefully take them out of the oven and cut one of the chicken breasts in half. If the inside is rubbery, pink, or not white they are not cooked and need to be placed back in the oven)
10. Mix together the chicken, Alfredo sauce, and the noodles and enjoy!
We popped some Texas Toast into the oven and served them together!